I am sure you know what ClickBank is. Just as a reminder, ClickBank (CB) belongs to the Top 100 online retailers with 200 million customers. CB focus on selling digital products created by individuals or companies.
It has been founded in 1998.
I remember old internet marketers (like John Reese) saying, that in the past you could go to ClickBank, choose product, get the affiliate link, then just go to google, create an ad with this affiliate link inside the ad, and you could generate money without owning a website.
BTW, John Reese is a first guy who made million dollar in 24 hours.
Well this is not possible anymore. In fact these days it is quite difficult to run an ad through a bridge page. Google (and also Bing) in most cases recognize this bridge page and your ad will not run.
So, how to make money with ClickBank (CB). Is it still possible in 2019?
There are 2 approaches when it comes to making money with CB.
- We can sell our own product
- We can promote other products as affiliate marketers.
We will be looking at both methods, the pros and cons and at the end we will check the alternatives to ClickBank.
ClickBank as a Marketplace Where I Can Sell My Own Product
If you have your own product you can add it into the product database of ClickBank. All the necessary work is done for you by ClickBank guys. You must pay the activation fee which is like $50. This is to be paid only once.
Here is a short video on how to add a product:
Also keep in mind, when you make a sale, you are charged $1 + 7.5% of the sale. That is the “tax” for all the technical part you don’t have to pay attention to. I guess it is pretty fair, and with the tons of products within the ClickBank it is safe to say, that product owners do not have a problem with that fee.
How to Set up ClickBank Account as an Affiliate Marketer
To set up the account with CB is very easy process and it takes few minutes. If you don’t have your account yet and you would like to have one, just watch this video below (little over 3 minutes):
Once you have your account you go to the Marketplace, select Category you and from there choose a specific product.
- It is good idea to sort the results according popularity as you do want to promote product which is already selling.
- Check the Gravity – this number shows how many other people are successfully selling this product.
The point is, that you want to sell such product which is already popular, so you don’t have to “waste” money on the marketing and letting people know what is it all about.
How to Promote the Product – Choosing Niche
We have already touched this above.
You might already have heard, that you should create your business around your passion. Well this idea has good intention but sometimes it does not work. Or, build your business around a niche which interests you the most.
In ideal case your passion might become also your business. If you truly passionate about something, you will not feel tired of your hobby, almost never, right? – that is the idea behind saying “build your business around your passion”
Unfortunately this is not a case for everybody.
So how does one find the proper niche?
I believe if you have interest about something and you can get some results in terms of sale, you will start to like any niche – as soon as it generates a profit for you.
The point is, sell what is already selling.
That is why I mentioned in previous paragraph the selection of products according popularity.
Here you can find brief explanation of the data for each product:
Initial $/sale: This is how much you can make for each sale
Avg %/sale: Commission you make
Avg. Rebill Total: Average total of all re-billed commissions
Avg. % rebill: the commission in % you make in case the recurring payment is avaliable
Grav: Number of other marketers who made money in last 12 days
Once you have chosen your product, just click on the “PROMOTE” button, where you will get your affiliate link.
- Now you can share this link anywhere you want. You can post it on a Facebook with some text or short story, you can send it to your friend(s).
I don’t know about you, but I personally do not like sending such affiliate link to my friends, in another words I don’t like spamming them (unless I know that some of them would be really interested in such and such product).
- You can also create an Ad on Facebook. But his require some previous experience and of course the budget.
If you are newbie, I recommend to check some free videos on Facebook on how to run a FB Ad. But most importantly start with low budget. For example spend $5-10$ on the Ad and then check how it did go.
There are also paid courses where you are taught how to create specific Ad.
The point with Ads, is to reach as many people as possible.
- If you have a website, you can include the link within the post or blog. Again with a website, you can either run an ad, or you can get organic traffic. To get the organic traffic requires time and some effort, but the results from organic traffic are usually the best.
You don’t ask people to visit your site. Your site is found naturally by people entering a keyword in search engines.
Of course the key in all above mentioned ways, is Relevancy.
Advantages and Disadvantages of ClickBank
Here are the main advantages, if you want to make money with CB.
- Commission – Most of digital products offer 50% to 75% of commission. That means if somebody will purchase $50 product using your affiliate link, your commission is from $25 to $37.5.
You sell 1 product a day and you have 1,000 bucks per month.
- Tons of product to be promoted. Even if you select the E-business category you have lots of products you can promote. Also they are being added, so you can’t almost never run out of them.
- No need to deal with product creators – Once you have your CB account, you don’t have to worry about any suppliers nor customers. You only deal with CB, regardless the product you promote. CB will deal with all the payments and these kind of “administration” stuff.
Nothing is perfect so here is a short list of main downsides as well.
- Quality of products are low – The quality of digital products listed on ClickBank is pretty low, and some of them have patterns of scams. Apparently ClickBank used to have better products years ago, but unfortunately it is getting worse.
On the other hand there are bunch of products providing value to end customer, but many of them are expensive – around $1,000.
- Competition – Since signing up with CB is so easy, that also means that there might be also a huge competition. So you want to make sure that your Ad, website or promotion is better than others.
I have reviewed many CB products and here are many of the which I do not recommend (and do not promote). If you have not had a chance to check them, you may take a look to get some overview.
Alternatives to ClickBank
Promoting CB products is pretty easy. The worst part is getting the sales.
What I find as a better alternative is Amazon Affiliate Program. You can get in partnership with Amazon also within few minutes. You can choose any product you like, but keep in mind that Amazon offers mostly physical products with lower commission.
On the other hand, selling physical product is much easier than digital.
There are tons of other affiliate programs and it is easy to find them. I would suggest to check the affiliate programs first, choose the niche or field you like and start to build your website.
At the early stage of my digital marketing I was very limited and the only way I saw how to make some money using affiliate marketing was through ClickBank.
As my knowledge grew I learnt that there are tons of other affiliate programs and on top of that there are many other ways how to monetize the website.
I am not saying that you can’t make money with ClickBank.
You can certainly create your CB account, check the products listed in category you prefer and if you find a valuable product, go ahead and promote it.
But also keep in mind that CB is not the only way (as I used to think).
Let me know how you are doing with affiliate programs. Or if you are not sure where to start, drop a line or two.